Thursday Highlights: Jackfish enter win column, Cardinals and Leafs Keep Rolling
Photo by Brandon Taylor
Welland 9, Guelph 6
- Jackfish scored three runs in the first inning and rode that momentum all the way to a 9-6 victory over the Guelph Royals.
- Luis Jean’s two-run single to centre field got things started for the Jackfish before Matteo Porcellato added another RBI thanks to his single in the first inning
- Jean was the offensive weapon for the Jackfish, adding another RBI - three on the night - to go along with his two hits and three runs scored.
- Jackfish starting pitcher Jake Harford struck out five and gave up five hits without allowing a run in five innings of work. Despite being 1-1, Harford has yet to give up a run this season.
- Royals designated hitter Mike Cecchetto had a pair of doubles and a single to lead the Royals offensively.
- Royals starter Kyle Thomas was credited with the loss.
Game Centre | Jackfish Recap | Royals Recap
Toronto 14, Kitchener 9
- Johnathan Solazzo’s three-run home run powered the Maple Leafs to an early lead in the first inning, before adding six more in the third, before tacking on four more in the seventh inning.
- The big statistic of the game was the Maple Leafs walked 14 times. Jordan Castaldo and Justin Murray each hit doubles to help out with the offence.
- Adam Marra (1-1) earned the win on the mound, while Jacob Douglas (0-1) took the loss.
- The Panthers used the long ball to provide most of its offence. Andy Leader, Elliott Curtis, Liam Wilson, and Raul Gonzalez all hit home runs.
Game Centre | Maple Leafs Recap | Panthers Recap
Hamilton 5, Barrie 3
- Clayton Keyes had his second three-hit night in a row to pace the Hamilton Cardinals to a 5-3 win over the Barrie Baycats. The Cardinals outfielder had two doubles, a single and three RBI to lead the way for his team on the road at Vintage Thorne Stadium.
- James Anderson was the offensive force for the Baycats thanks to his two hits and two RBI.
- Cardinals starting pitcher Logan Walters earned his second win of the season, striking out seven and allowing three runs in five innings of work.
- Baycats starter Jeifry Nunez was also impressive, striking out six and giving up five hits in six innings on the mound.
Game Centre | Cardinals Recap | Baycats Recap