Thursday Highlights: Cardinals and Baycats come away with victories
Photo by Bob Hurley
Toronto Maple Leafs 10, Barrie Baycats 11
- With one out, Ryan Rijo ripped a single, his fourth hit of the night, to score Starlin Rodriguez for the walk-off victory, capping the five-run ninth-inning explosion.
- Josh Cote, Hayden Jaco and Rijo all hit singles to lead the late charge.
- In the eighth inning, Jaco, who had a three-hit game, and Rijo, did the damage, each hitting doubles to knock in one run each.
- For five innings the Maple Leafs seemed to dominate, scoring three times in the first inning, twice in the second, once in the fourth and adding four more in the fifth.
- Jordan Castaldo led the offence with three hits, knocking in three and scoring once. Jose Vinicio also had a three-hit night, while Greg Carrington had two hits and two RBI.
- Brandon Hillier got the win on the mound, while Adam Marra took the loss.
Game Centre | Maple Leafs Post-Game | Baycats Post-Game
Hamilton Cardinals 3, Welland Jackfish 2
- The Cardinals struck twice in the third inning and one more time in the fourth to edge the Jackfish 3-2.
- With two outs in the third inning, Luis Bernardo doubled to left field, scoring Charlie Towers and Jacob Underwood, giving the Cardinals the lead. In the top half of the fourth, Tyler Duncan was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Dennis Dei Baning.
- Offensively for the Jackfish, James Smibert led the way with a double and single.
- Logan Walters got the win on the hill for the Cardinals. The Cards starter struck out seven and walked three, only allowing three hits in six innings of work. Corben Peters picked up the save.
- Jackfish starter Jake Harford took the loss despite striking out eight batters and giving up two hits in 3 innings of work. The Jackfish pitching staff, including Harford, combined for 17 strikeouts.