Sunday Highlights: Home teams reign supreme Sunday
Photos by @ethsimages
Hamilton 4, London 3
- Clayton Keyes’ third hit of the night was his most important, giving the Hamilton Cardinals a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over the London Majors. Keyes hit a single to left field, bringing in Troy Banks for the walk-off win. That capped off a two-run rally in the ninth.
- The Cardinals scored one run in the eighth and fourth innings.
- Charlie Towers and Luis Bernardo also had RBI in the win.
- Eduardo de Oleo led the offence for the Majors thanks to his three hits and one RBI.
- Stefan Strecker got the win, striking out two in his one inning of work in the eighth.
- Starter Jayson Wilbur threw five innings and struck out three, giving up three runs on eight hits. Corben Peters also had an effective outing on the mound, striking out three, allowing one hit in three innings.
- London starter Owen Boon had a great outing, striking out 14 batters, giving up seven hits in seven innings of work.
Toronto 12, Guelph 2
- Johnathan Solazzo’s bat did the talking for the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday.
- Solazzo capped a three-hit, five RBI day with a three-run home run in the eighth inning as the Maple Leafs cruised to a 12-2 win over the Guelph Royals.
- Justin Marra and Greg Carrington also had homers for the Maple Leafs, who scored one run in the first and sixth innings, two in the third, as well as four runs in the fifth and eighth.
- The Royals had a tough day at the plate mustering up three hits, one of which was a J.D. Williams solo home run.
Maple Leafs starting pitcher Sam Greene was fantastic on the mound, throwing five no-hit innings, while striking out six. Daniel Procopio struck out five batters in three innings of work.
- Royals starter Yomar Concepcion took the loss, striking out four and giving up three runs on three hits in four innings of work.
Kitchener 14, Welland 6
- Andy Leader had himself a day leading the Kitchener Panthers to a 14-6 win over the Welland Jackfish Sunday.
- The Panthers outfielder hit a single, double and home run, while knocking in six runs to pace the offence. Elliott Curtis also had a home run and three RBI, for the Royals who scored in every inning but the sixth. The fourth and seventh innings were its big ones, scoring four runs in each.
- Sam Cawker gave the Jackfish lots to cheer about in the top of the first inning when he gave his team the lead thanks to his three-run homer. He then hit a two-run homer in the fifth inning. Cawker had his sixth RBI of the game thanks to a sacrifice fly in the seventh inning.
- Yamichel Perez got the win on the mound for the Panthers. He struck out seven on five innings of work.
- Scott Gillespie was credited with the loss.
Barrie 7, Brantford 2
- Starlin Rodriguez hit a two-run home run, and added two more RBI to lead the Baycats offence. Josh Cote and Brad McQuinn had doubles leading to RBI to also bolster the Baycats at the plate.
- On the mound, Evan Soules was at times brilliant, striking out nine, allowing only two runs on two hits in eight innings of work.
- Jeremias Sucre was credited with the loss.